[Wrf-users] Noah LSM module (Flerchinger USEd in NEW version)

Atsuyoshi MANDA am at bio.mie-u.ac.jp
Thu Nov 10 06:10:11 MST 2016

Dear WRF users and developers,

I am having a problem with Noah land surface model. I got the following
errors (technically warning) and the model blew up in a short time:

Flerchinger USEd in NEW version. Iterations= 10

I learned that this is related to the problem with calculation of the
the soil liquid moisture content, from the following websites:
http://forum.wrfforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2531
http://stupidcomputerhints.blogspot.jp/2011/04/compendium-of-wrf-errors.html

I have checked the soil moisture data in my met_em files and they look
OK. To figure out what went wrong, I would like to output latitudes and
longitudes of the grid points where the computation of soil liquid
moisture content fails.

Is it correct to add the line shown below to the subroutine FRH2O in
WRFV3/phys/module_sf_noahlsm.F?

         IF (KCOUNT == 0) THEN
             PRINT *,'Flerchinger USEd in NEW version. Iterations=',NLOG

!===========================================================
             print *, grid%xlat (iloc,jloc), grid%xlat (iloc,jloc)
!===========================================================
! ----------------------------------------------------------------------
! END OPTION 2
! ----------------------------------------------------------------------
         END IF

Of course, I understand I must add the arguments grid%xlat, grid%xlat,
iloc, and jloc to the subroutine FRH2O before adding the line above.

I am not quite sure which variables I should use for iloc and jloc. I
guess they should be spatial indices of the whole domain.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Atsuyoshi

Atsuyoshi Manda, PhD