[Wrf-users] Question about levels in wrf

Brandt Maxwell - NOAA Federal brandt.maxwell at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 6 17:12:09 MDT 2016

Jose,

The model sigma levels are there to distribute your model levels between
the model top and the surface.  Since pressure will vary at the surface,
both horizontally and temporally, then the sigma value of 1 will be your
surface level (versus the model top, with the sigma value of 0, which will
usually be a fixed pressure).  Your first model level (or any other sigma
level) above the surface should have a pressure of (model top) +
(sigma)*(surface pressure - model top).  Thus, if you have a model top of
50 mb, a surface pressure of 1000 mb, and a first sigma value above the
surface of 0.995, then the pressure of that sigma level should be 50 +
0.995 * (1000 - 50) = 995.25 mb (and from there you can calculate the
height, which would be a little less than 50 meters).  It should be pretty
easy to get 8 or more levels below 1 km in a model, though obviously be
careful to not have any sudden changes in distance between sigma levels (so
something like 0.970, 0.964, 0.933 would be bad).

Later...
Brandt