[Wrf-users] 1. Re: What is a reasonable speed for WRF / how to increase it? (Wang, Yaoping

KPAIKPAI Emil emilkpaikpai at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 2 22:24:06 MDT 2016

I think there is no real speed for WRF model to berun. It depends on the setting in thenamelist, especially the physics and dynamicsoptions. It depends also oncomputer or the compiler you are using. For example in my lab the have chosen to usethe Intel compiler with ifort. It is experienced to be faster than theothers.

I have experienced that it is taking about 1 second torun each timestep (180 seconds) of 30km horizontal resolution and one domain.To run one hour would take:

- 1 second to run 180 seconds

- x seconds to run 3600 seconds (1 hour)

That would give us:

So, it takes 20 seconds to run 1 hour. To run oneday would take:

20 seconds/hour * 24 hours = 480 seconds

Hence, it would take 480 seconds (8 minutes) to run1 day. If I wanted to run 1 year of simulations, that would take me:

8 minutes/day * 365 days = 2920 minutes (~49 hours)

Batebana