[Wrf-users] What is a reasonable speed for WRF / how to increase it?

Wang, Yaoping wang.3866 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Wed Aug 31 15:36:30 MDT 2016

Hi All,

I am running WRF on a ~6km resolution, 91 x 121 domain in the eastern United States. I am using an adaptive time step which makes it mostly 72 sec increments. There are 34 vertical levels. I use 4 x 12 cores on a Intel Xeon x5650 CPUs machine. The throughput is about 1.2 hour wall time per 24 hours model time.

Is this a reasonable speed? I found some information here (http://www.ecmwf.int/sites/default/files/elibrary/2014/13662-performance-analysis-operational-implementaion-wrf.pdf) and after considering the domain difference, my run still seems a touch slow. And is there anyway I could figure how to make the model run faster?

Thank you,

Yaoping Wang