[Wrf-users] WRF run cursing with RUC LSM after 2/3 days

mmkamal at uwaterloo.ca mmkamal at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Aug 23 20:10:19 MDT 2016

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the RUC LSM in WRF v3.3. Model is cursing
with RUC LSM after 2/3 days. I am running WRF at 8 km and 2.67 km
horizontal resolution over the Great Lakes Basin. I have played with
different dumping options and damping coefficient. I have reduced
integration time steps up to 4 second. Model stopped after two days
with 48 second (6*8km) integration time and stopped after 4 days with
8 second. I have looked at output variables and looks fine. I set
debug level up to 150 and find no error message in the log file. There
is no CFL error as well.

Surprisingly, model shows no problem while simulating July month. The
problem is happening in December. I have compiled WRF using IBM's AIX
compiler. Here you go parts of my namelist.input

==========================
&domains
  time_step                           = 4,
  time_step_fract_num                 = 0,
  time_step_fract_den                 = 1,
  max_dom                             = 2,
  e_we                                = 225,   214,   244,
  e_sn                                = 175,   211,   271,
  e_vert                              = 28,    28,    28,
  p_top_requested                     = 10000,
  num_metgrid_levels                  = 30,
  num_metgrid_soil_levels             = 4,
  dx                                  = 8000, 2666.666,  888.888,
  dy                                  = 8000, 2666.666,  888.888,
  grid_id                             = 1,     2,     3,
  parent_id                           = 1,     1,     2,
  i_parent_start                      = 1,     68,    70,
  j_parent_start                      = 1,     65,    50,
  parent_grid_ratio                   = 1,     3,     3,
  parent_time_step_ratio              = 1,     3,     3,
  feedback                            = 1,
  smooth_option                       = 1
  /

  &physics
  mp_physics                          = 6,     6,     6,
  ra_lw_physics                       = 1,     1,     1,
  ra_sw_physics                       = 1,     1,     1,
  radt                                = 8,     8,     8,
  sf_sfclay_physics                   = 1,     1,     1,
  sf_surface_physics                  = 3,     3,     2,
  bl_pbl_physics                      = 1,     1,     1,
  bldt                                = 0,     0,     0,
  cu_physics                          = 1,     0,     0,
  cudt                                = 5,     5,     5,
  isfflx                              = 1,
  ifsnow                              = 0,
  icloud                              = 1,
  surface_input_source                = 1,
  num_soil_layers                     = 6,
  sf_urban_physics                    = 0,     0,     0,
  sst_update                          = 1,
  tmn_update                          = 1,
  lagday                              = 150,
  sst_skin                            = 1,
  num_land_cat                        = 28
/

  &dynamics
  rk_ord                              = 3,
  diff_opt                            = 1,
  km_opt                              = 4,
  diff_6th_opt                        = 2,      2,      2,
  diff_6th_factor                     = 0.06,   0.06,   0.06,
  damp_opt                            = 3,
  zdamp                               = 5000.,   5000.,  8000.,
  dampcoef                            = 0.3,    0.3,  0.03,
  w_damping                           = 1,
  base_pres                           = 100000.,
  base_temp                           = 290.
  base_lapse                          = 50.,
  iso_temp                            = 0.,
  smdiv                               = 0.1,    0.1,    0.1,
  emdiv                               = 0.01,   0.01,   0.01
  epssm                               = 1.0,    1.0,    0.1
  non_hydrostatic                     = .true., .true., .true.,
  h_mom_adv_order                     = 5,      5,      5,
  v_mom_adv_order                     = 3,      3,      3,
  h_sca_adv_order                     = 5,      5,      5,
  v_sca_adv_order                     = 3,      3,      3,
  time_step_sound                     = 4,      4,      4,
  moist_adv_opt                       = 1,      1,      1,
  scalar_adv_opt                      = 1,      1,      1,
  tke_adv_opt                         = 1,      1,      1,
  khdif                               = 0,      0,      0,
  kvdif                               = 0,      0,      0,

  /

  &bdy_control
  spec_bdy_width                      = 10,
  spec_zone                           = 1,
  relax_zone                          = 9,
  specified                           = .true., .false.,.false.,
  spec_exp                            = 0.33,
  nested                              = .false., .true., .true.,
  /

Has anyone else encountered similar problems with RUC LSM in WRF
v3.3?any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kamal