[Wrf-users] Is it a must to run wrf with a nest

mmkamal at uwaterloo.ca mmkamal at uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jul 26 16:55:31 MDT 2016

Hi there,

I would like to offer the following seven points (the first two copied
from "WRF Advanced Usage and Best Practices" lecture note):

1) Nestng is probably needed if your target resolution is much less
than your analysis resolution.

2) Outer domain grid size could be 1/3 analysis (or boundary data) resolution.

3) In your case, analysis data set's horizontal resolution is 83 km.
Therefore, according to suggestion 2, you can set your outermost
domain's grid spacing (83/3= ~ 27 km). Following a 1:3 parent:daughter
grid ration, your second domain's resolution would be 9 km; 3rd
domain's grid spacing would be 3 km and 4th domain's grid spacing
would be 1 km.

4) WRF run times depends on multiple factors, including grid spacing,
integration time steps, choice of physical parameterization schemes
(e.g., Morrison double moment microphysics schemes takes nearly 15%
more computing time than WRF single moment six class microphysics
scheme), the number of grid points WRF needs to integrate (i.e., if
you have 200 grid boxes along east-west, 175 north-south, and 28
vertical layers then WRF needs to integrate 200*175*28 = XXXXXXX
points. For second nest, the number of grid points would be:
3*(east-west grid box number * north-south gridbox number * vertical
layers number). For 2nd nest number of grid points would be:
9*(east-west grid box number * north-south gridbox number * vertical
layers number). Now, you can imagine how many grid points you need to
integrate for each successive nest. Model integration time will follow
nearly the same trend. Nest will take approximately four times higher
CPU time than parent domain.

5) Now, depending on your computing resources (which is not too much)
you can consider only one nest. In that case your highest resolution
domain would be 9km (if you set your outer domain grid spacing 27 km).

6) You can set more than one nest if you set a small domain area for
nest compared to parent domain. You can not set larger domain area for
outermost domain if you would like to use more than one nest.

7) So, while running WRF model, one should follow the famous proverb
"cut your coat according to your cloth".

Cheers,
Kamal