[Wrf-users] How wrf processes nests

David Smith dsmith at uvi.edu
Thu Jun 9 10:33:45 MDT 2016

   Thanks Bill, but let me pursue this just a bit to be sure I'm not missing something.  I understand how the coarse and fine nests are processed.  I am asking how the two equal, but separate, 0.333 km fine nests are handled when their "time" comes.  Are you saying that there is no (significant) difference whether wrf runs each of the fine nests sequentially (each getting all the allotted processors) or simultaneously (sharing the total number of processors)?
  Consider a simplistic example.  For a sequential run of the two fine nests, if I make the x and y dimensions of each fine nest divisible by 10 and 5 respectively, then I know wrf can create 50 subgrids for an efficient run on 50 processors.  I would want each of the fine grids to have this same structure.
   But if they will be running simultaneously, then wouldn't I want the total number of subgrids for the two nests combined to be 50?  (My two fine nests are not the same size.) Of course, I am assuming that wrf makes some reasonable choice for the sub grids - maybe I need to better understand how it does that as well.
 Thanks!

Dave

Dr. David J Smith
College of Science and Mathematics