[Wrf-users] single installation of WRF

Saji Hameed saji at u-aizu.ac.jp
Thu Apr 28 01:13:33 MDT 2016

Hi Joseph,

You can copy the executables to a bin directory, under /usr or /opt etc.

There are lots of other files that folks may need. Let me give you an idea
of my setup.  I keep data files such as geographic data in a share
directory and tables in a lib directory as follows
I then use appropriate options in the namelists to refer to these data. If
I am unable to do that I simply copy the necessary files from the shared
directory to my work directory.
BTW, I use a semi-automated system to manage my WRF workflow (
https://github.com/sajinh/ruWRF)

Example namelist.wps entries

&geogrid
 geog_data_path = '/fs4/saji/WRF/share/geog',
 opt_geogrid_tbl_path = '/fs4/saji/WRF/share/wrf/geogrid'

&metgrid
 opt_metgrid_tbl_path = '/fs4/saji/WRF/share/wrf/metgrid',

(for a complete listing of the share folders see below this email - it is
too long)

share/
|-- data
|-- geog
|-- ShapeFiles
-- wrf
    |-- geogrid
    |   `-- GEOGRID.TBL
    |-- metgrid
    |   |-- gribmap.txt
    |   `-- METGRID.TBL
    `-- ungrib

My lib files contain tables such as Vtables (I should have kept Metrid
tables also, but I think I was too lazy to redo it)

lib
`-- wrf
    |-- mpi
    |   |-- run_wrf_hostfile
    |   `-- wrf_hostfile
    |-- tables
    |   |-- CAM_ABS_DATA
    |   |-- CAM_AEROPT_DATA
    .
    .
    .
    |   |-- URBPARM.TBL
    |   `-- VEGPARM.TBL
    |-- templates
    |   |-- aizu
    |   |-- aizu_41levs
    |-- VTables
    |   |-- Vtable.AFWAICE
    |   |-- Vtable.AGRMETSNOW

Hope it helps,
saji
--

share
|-- data
|   `-- gshhs
|-- geog
|   |-- albedo_ncep
> [...]
|-- ShapeFiles
|   |-- CHGIS
|   |-- JGS
|   `-- UNEP
`-- wrf
    |-- geogrid
    |-- metgrid
    `-- ungrib

Saji N Hameed,
Environmental Informatics,
University of Aizu, Tsuruga, Ikki-machi,
Aizuwakamatsu-shi, Fukushima 965-8580,
Japan

Tel: +81242 37-2736
Fax:+81242 37-2760