[Wrf-users] current Xeon processors

Κώστας Μυρωνάκης kmironakis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 01:37:16 MDT 2016

Hi,
it seems that the Intel continues its old tactics of marketing.
To see how we come out of this trap!
We go back some years.
Look here:

#Cores #Chips #Processor   #Result #year #price
4      1    Intel i7-860   121     2010  274,08 €
4      1    Intel i7-870   127     2010  538,46 €
4      1    Intel i7-920   109     2010  266,78 €
6      1    Intel i7-980X  168     2010  1.013,47 €
8      2    Intel E5520    200     2010  369,88 € x2
8      2    Intel E5420    109     2010  295,84 € x2

Lets say that the i7-860 run WRF test case in 1 hour.
there is not difference in time with i7-870 which cost double price !!! and
it has a biggest cache .. bla bla bla ...

Another trap
i7-980X (X = 6 core) is faster 50% than i7-860 but its cost 4x !!!
if a have a cluster with four i7-860 its give 4x121=484 ~ 150% faster than
i7-980X !!!

Another trap
Lets see Xeon, the E5520 has a double performance than E5420.
The configuration of two E5420 has a double price than i7-860 and its
slower.
Βe careful.

Another trap
To buy or rent a PC?
It depends, if i am a government  or a person !!!
Difficult decision.

So open an excel file, find the possessors with same results and take or
rent the cheapest !!!

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Efstathios Konstantinos Mironakis
http://www.forecastmaps.eu