[Wrf-users] Use or not use HyperThreading

Κώστας Μυρωνάκης kmironakis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 01:30:29 MDT 2016

Hello,
of course, but this job make the operating system of your PC (Linux, Unix).
We need it because the HyperThreading used one arithmetic unit and two
logical units in each core of the processor.
When running the WRF most of the calculations of the program is not the
numerical but the logical.
In practice the HyperThreading has double performance.

In Centos OS (Linux)
if i used the top command i see something like this

  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S   %CPU %MEM    TIME+
COMMAND
11828 user1       20   0  8860 1192  844 R       786     50.0      10:00.02
wrf

which mean that the WRF in a 4 core machine with HyperThreading used the
~786% (800% max) of the power and not 400%.
Again, this job make automatic the linux or Unix and of course we enable
the -omp option in the makefiles of WRF.

Efstathios Konstantinos Mironakis
http://www.forecastmaps.eu