[Wrf-users] Question about the "aer_opt" option in WRF-Chem

mengmengli2006 at 126.com mengmengli2006 at 126.com
Tue Mar 22 06:14:25 MDT 2016

Dear Sir,

I'm a researcher from Nanjing University, China. My study focused on the numerical simulation of aerosol-radiation feedbacks with the WRF-Chem model.

Recently, I noticed that several new radiation options (aer_opt, aer_aod550_opt, aer_angexp_opt...) had been added in WRF-Chem to provide user-specified aerosol optical properties for RRTMG and Goddard radiation options. But, at the same time, in the chemical modules, the aerosol optical properties are calculated online based on Mie theory and simulated aerosol burden to provide feedbacks to radiation schemes. I was quite curious about which scheme ("aer_opt" or Mie theory) is preferential in the WRF-Chem simulation. I guess the "aer_opt" option is only available with the WRF meteorological simulation?

I hope you can help me better understand the question. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks very much.

Best regards.

Mengmeng Li

mengmengli2006 at 126.com