[Wrf-users] Parallel NETCDF4?

Christopher Thomas christopherthomas at cmt.id.au
Sat Mar 5 19:04:40 MST 2016

Thanks for your replies Dom and Wei-keng.

Yes, I gather that the pnetCDF library cannot produce NETCDF4 files, but I
have also read that the NETCD4 library can do parallel input and output
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/parallel_io.html. So I
guess what I was asking is: does anyone know how to get WRF to write in
parallel to a NETCDF4 file? I am guessing that the answer is no, or someone
would have mentioned it, but if it were possible I think that implementing
it would be a very worthwhile project.

Yes, I can post-process the data to do the compression later, but the data
volumes are very high (~1.2 TB per hour simulation time) so this sort of
post-processing is a significant overhead.

Thanks for the suggestion of I/O quilting. I'll give it a try.

To answer you questions WEi-keng: I am using a lustre file system, and two
versions of WRF:  3.7 compiled with pnetCDF, and 3.7.1 compiled with serial
I/O.

Regards

Chris

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 11:16 PM, Wei-keng Liao <wkliao at eecs.northwestern.edu