[Wrf-users] WTG in WRF

Ben Stephens benstephens at utexas.edu
Fri Mar 4 10:38:53 MST 2016

Hi all,

I am trying to implement the weak temperature gradient (WTG) approximation in the WRF model.  This is an adjustment in the vertical velocity that holds the temperature profile steady in time, relevant in tropical simulations.

If anyone knows whether this has been done before, I would greatly appreciate any input or references.  Assuming it has not been done before, would anyone have any advice on where to place code that is intended to adjust the vertical velocity in this way?  It would have to take place after the various temperature forcings have been calculated and summed (I believe the relevant variable here is RTHFTEN, but I’m not totally sure).

Thanks,
Ben