[Wrf-users] wps intermediate file using ncl with NASA MERRA

Dominikus Heinzeller climbfuji at ymail.com
Tue Feb 2 01:19:16 MST 2016

Hi Nikhil,

Forcing WRF with model level data is possible and often done - for example for the ECMWF operational forecasts with 138 hybrid levels nowadays. For ECMWF data, a utility program called calc_ecmwf_p.exe comes with WPS, which takes a text file with coefficients a and b to generate additional intermediate files (prefix PRES). These contain pressure, geopotential height (and relative humidity) for each model level, grid  point and time step. The ECMWF model levels are defined as p(k) = a(k) + b(k)*psfc, see the following links:

http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds627.0/docs/Eta_coordinate
http://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/documentation-and-support/137-model-levels
https://www.met.reading.ac.uk/wrf/?page_id=58

For MERRA, the sigma coordinate is very similar, except that it corresponds to the pressure at the bottom edge of the grid box, whereas you need the pressure at the center (http://wiki.seas.harvard.edu/geos-chem/index.php/Notes_regarding_GEOS_vertical_grids, note the typo in the definition of pcenter). You could either re-calculate the indices a and b in order to use calc_ecmwf_p.exe or you could write your own little tool that calculates the missing pressure data and writes it into intermediate format. Template code in Fortran can be found here:

Writing Meteorological Data to the Intermediate Format <http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/user_guide_V3/users_guide_chap3.htm#_Writing_Meteorological_Data>

Cheers

Dom/