[Wrf-users] level indicator value when using ECMWF data

wen wenguanhuan at 163.com
Sat Jan 23 01:41:02 MST 2016

Hi all,
    I used ECMWF data to drive wrf. There are mean sea level pressure (MSL) filed ,but no surface pressure filed in the data.  After I used ungrib.exe to write the data into intermediate files, I check the level indicator of the MSL field in intermediate files. I found that the value of level indicator "xlvl" for MSL is 200100, which is different  the case of FNL data. The value "xlvl" for MSL is 201300 when the driving data is  FNL data, and the value 200100 indicate the surface (like surface pressure).
 My question is :
 Q1. Is the level indicator value 200100  right for MSL in my case using ECMWF data?
 Q2. Will WPS interpolate the MSL into surface pressure (PRES) when we execute metgrid.exe?
 Q3. If the answer for Q1 is yes, why the MSL level indicator value is different from that from FNL data?

I hope you can help. Thank you!

--

Best regards,
Guanhuan Wen