[Wrf-users] Nesting problem, HGT=0 in WRFV3.7 and WRFV3.7.1

Francisco Salamanca Palou fsalaman at asu.edu
Fri Jan 15 10:06:34 MST 2016

Dear WRF users,
I have a notable problem using WRFV3.7 and WRFV3.7.1 with more than 2
nested domains (the simulations with only one domain are fine). I do not
have this problem with previous versions of WRF using the same
"namelist.input" and the same "met_em.d0*" files.
When I am running the Noah-LSM with an urban module (i.e., sf_urban_physics
= 1,2 or 3) the limits of the inner domain (see attached figure for 2
nested domains) have HGT =0 and this fact destroys the simulation producing
unrealistic values for the wind speed, air temperature, etc.
Curiously with the option sf_urban_physics =0 the simulation is fine.
Other WRF's users (see Users forum "Nesting" section) have found the same
problem.
Any help/idea to solve this issue will be greatly appreciated.
All the best
Francisco