[Wrf-users] WRF stop in upward_rad in phys/module_sf_bep.F; roof too cold??

Helen Macintyre Helen.Macintyre at phe.gov.uk
Tue Dec 1 03:46:29 MST 2015

Hi,

I'm having an issue where WRF stops in upward_rad in phys/module_sf_bep.F as it's having an issue with the calculated roof temperature.

I've run successfully before using BEP+NoahLSM for other time periods, but for some reason it now stops for this specific run. It looks like an element of the 'tr' (roof temperature) array is reaching less than 100 K, which is not allowed (according to the code) and so the run stops. I'm not overly familiar with this routine so I'm not sure what the issue could be, or why tr can't be less than 100. Here's the relevant snippet of code from the module it stops in.

      real tw(2*ndm,nz_um,nwr_u)  ! Temperature in each layer of the wall [K]
      real tr(ndm,nz_um,nwr_u)  ! Temperature in each layer of the roof [K]
      real tg(ndm,ng_u)          ! Temperature in each layer of the ground [K]
      integer id ! street direction
      integer ndu ! number of street directions
!OUTPUT/INPUT
      real rs_abs  ! absrobed solar radiationfor this street direction
      real rl_up   ! upward longwave radiation for this street direction
      real emiss ! mean emissivity
      real grdflx_urb ! ground heat flux
!LOCAL
      integer iz,iw
      real rl_inc,rl_emit
      real gfl
      integer ix,iy,iwrong

      iwrong=1
      do iz=1,nzu+1
      do id=1,ndu
      do iw=1,nwr_u
        if(tr(id,iz,iw).lt.100.)then
              write(*,*)'in upward_rad ',iz,id,iw,tr(id,iz,iw)
              iwrong=0
        endif
        if(tw(2*id-1,iz,iw).lt.100.) then
           write(*,*)'in upward_rad ',iz,id,iw,tw(2*id-1,iz,iw)
           iwrong=0
        endif
        if(tw(2*id,iz,iw).lt.100.) then
           write(*,*)'in upward_rad ',iz,id,iw,tw(2*id,iz,iw)
           iwrong=0
        endif
      enddo
      enddo
      enddo
      do id=1,ndu
      do iw=1,ng_u
          if(tg(id,iw).lt.100.) then
            write(*,*)'in upward_rad ',id,iw,tg(id,iw)
            iwrong=0
          endif
      enddo
      enddo
           if(iwrong.eq.0)stop
I'm running for a period in the summer in the UK, so I wouldn't expect the temperature to be less than 100K(!), but the error file shows that this has happened in some of the roof layers:

 in upward_rad            6           1          10   97.5907135
 in upward_rad            6           2          10   97.5907135
 in upward_rad            7           1          10   97.5907135
 in upward_rad            7           2          10   97.5907135
 in upward_rad            8           1          10   97.5907135
 in upward_rad            8           2          10   97.5907135

I have run this with no issues for other summer periods, so I'm very confused about what's going on. Any advice on how to track down the issue would be very helpful.

Best,
Helen

Dr Helen Macintyre
Senior Environmental Scientist (Air Quality)
Public Health England
Centre for Radiation, Chemical and Environmental Hazards
Chilton, Didcot
OX11 0RQ
Helen.Macintyre at phe.gov.uk<mailto:Helen.Macintyre at phe.gov.uk>
+44 (0)1235 825388

www.gov.uk/phe<http://www.gov.uk/phe>   Follow us on Twitter @PHE_uk<https://twitter.com/PHE_uk>
Protecting and improving the nation's health

The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is confidential and intended solely and for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). It may not be disclosed to any other person without the express authority of Public Health England, or the intended recipient, or both. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part of it. This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept for computer viruses by Symantec.Cloud, but please re-sweep any attachments before opening or saving. http://www.gov.uk/PHE