[Wrf-users] Join ARM's Routine LES Project (LASSO) Email List

Gustafson, William I William.Gustafson at pnnl.gov
Tue Oct 20 19:24:46 MDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

A new project bridging observational data and large-eddy simulation (LES) modeling is being implemented by the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Climate Research Facility. To ensure this U.S. Department of Energy project meets your research and modeling needs, we are forming an email list to keep you informed and get your feedback.

You will want to be included if you are interested in:

·         Keeping abreast of ARM's modeling plans so that you can use the results for your research

·         Self-consistent representations of the atmosphere that can help improve process understanding

·         A robust set of LES simulations and coincident observations that can be queried and used to improve climate model parameterizations
Being on the email list will keep you up-to-date on this important new ARM capability, and by providing your valuable input you will ensure that the overall workflow, model configuration, data products, and interface will make your research more efficient and insightful. You can help shape how we implement the modeling workflow and analysis suite. This is a great opportunity for you to contribute to the overall atmospheric science and climate modeling communities.

What is LASSO?
The project, or LASSO, is the LES ARM Symbiotic Simulation and Observation workflow that will produce routine LES modeling at the ARM Southern Great Plains megasite starting in 2017. The initial LASSO implementation will target shallow clouds and will later expand to other phenomena and ARM sites.

LASSO will add value to ARM observations by using LES modeling to provide context and a self-consistent representation of the atmosphere surrounding SGP that will connect processes together and facilitate improved understanding. The project will result in a library of simulations that can be used to test the accuracy of climate model parameterizations, serve as a proxy for the atmosphere to develop remote retrievals, as well as many other applications.

We are developing a "data cube" approach to interact with the LASSO output that will simplify data discovery, access, and analysis for researchers like you. The cube contents will include ARM observations, model output, and metrics and diagnostics to evaluate each case, as well as additional information you need.

Ultimately, LASSO can be designed to meet multiple needs, which is why your input is so critical.

Join Today
To be included in LASSO project email updates, sign up for the LASSO Information e-mail list at http://eepurl.com/bCS8s5.

For more details on LASSO, you can read the implementation strategy at http://www.arm.gov/publications/programdocs/doe-sc-arm-15-039.pdf. Feel free to contact me directly at william.gustafson at pnnl.gov<mailto:william.gustafson at pnnl.gov> with your input and any questions you might have. We also encourage you to share this opportunity with interested colleagues.

We look forward to sharing our progress on LASSO and getting your input to ensure we are meeting your needs.

Sincerely,

William Gustafson
LASSO Project PI

Andrew Vogelmann
LASSO Project Co-PI

William I. Gustafson Jr., Ph.D.
Scientist
ATMOSPHERIC SCIENCES AND GLOBAL CHANGE DIVISION

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
P.O. 999, MSIN K9-30
Richland, WA  99352
Tel: 509-372-6110