[Wrf-users] tslist Profiles: Vertical Coordinates?

Nikhil Garg nikhilgarg.gju at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 02:30:10 MDT 2015

The output of your data is on the model levels which are being used in WRF.
In order to find out more on it, you can check the wrf_timeseries.F code in
*share* directory in your wrf installation directory.

Number of levels is governed by this command in Registry.EM_COMMON

*rconfig   integer   max_ts_level    namelist,domains    1              15
      -       "max_ts_level"   "Highest model level for time series output"*

If you want to output data on all the levels or more levels, you change
value from 15 to whatever model level number you got, recompile the code
and it should output at more locations.

About converting from Model level to pressure levels, i think you can use
NCL or something like tht to post process the data or look at WRF user
manual for more information. Normally it require some sort of linear
interpolation or something. NCL has many functions for this sort of thing,
or you can create your own script.

On 7 October 2015 at 17:05, Richard Newton <
richard.newton-6 at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have produced a time series of surface data and vertical profiles using
> the tslist file method. The first problem is that the output profiles only
> produce fifteen vertical levels even though the model has 47 vertical
> levels. From looking at the profiles, the profiles in the tslist output
> files are within the lower troposphere, and no data points are within the
> stratosphere. Is there a way of changing the number of levels that are
> output in the profile files?
>

> The second problem is that I don’t know how the vertical coordinates are
> defined. I assume the data points in the profile are associated with the
> model vertical levels somehow, but it is unclear how. I would ideally want
> to convert the vertical levels to pressure… is there a way I can do that?
>

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Richard
>

> *Richard Newton*
>
> PhD Student
>
> School of Earth, Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences
>
> University of Manchester

Regards

Nikhil

Big whirls have little whirls,