[Wrf-users] Land surface fraction (mosaic/tiling) approach.

Helen Macintyre Helen.Macintyre at phe.gov.uk
Mon May 11 11:45:34 MDT 2015

Hi,

I have been successfully running wRFv3.6.1 making use of the Noah LSM in conjunction with BEP.

I would like to make use of the sub-grid approach to use the fractional land use within a tile for the surface calculations. This is the mosaic/tiling approach as described in Li et al 2013 (Link: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2013JD020657/abstract).

I can find little information in the user guide about how to implement this, apart from that you need to set some namelist options (e.g. sf_surface_mosaic = 1, mosaic_cat = 3). I assume you also need to add in some kind of input file with the fraction of each land use category in each grid box for the area you are interested in, but it isn't clear to me what format this needs to be in, how best to generate it, or how to ingest this into the model code.

I'm only one of two WRF users at my institute so any help from the list, or if anyone can discuss off-list with me, that would be a great help and much appreciated.

Thank you,

Best wishes,
Helen

Dr Helen Macintyre
Environmental Scientist (Air Quality)
Public Health England
Centre for Radiation, Chemical and Environmental Hazards
Chilton, Didcot
OX11 0RQ
Helen.Macintyre at phe.gov.uk
+44 (0)1235 825388

The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is confidential and intended solely and for the attention and use of the named addressee(s). It may not be disclosed to any other person without the express authority of Public Health England, or the intended recipient, or both. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part of it. This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept for computer viruses by Symantec.Cloud, but please re-sweep any attachments before opening or saving. http://www.gov.uk/PHE