[Wrf-users] query reg average rainfall

Geeta Geeta geeta124 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 02:38:31 MST 2014

Hi all.
I have to compute average rainfall over a box (say 10-20N/60-90E) from wrf output using the NCL script. I am also using MET software for verification, I converted the rainfall from wrfout files into netcdf files (I named them as model24_2011060100.nc) using the PCP_COMBINE tool as wrfout files are large and I cannot keep so many on my system. the model24_2011060100.nc file has ONLY rainfall data. Now my confusion is as follows. Do I have to use the  destaggering function for this data file before I calculate area average???. 1. I saw the ncl scripts that use the wrfout file directly.http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/Examples/PRECIP/wrf_Precip.ncl2. there is destaggering function http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_user_unstagger.shtmlso I want to know what I need to do.

geeta