[Wrf-users] installing netcdf-4.1.3

David Smith dsmith at uvi.edu
Mon Jun 23 14:18:49 MDT 2014

  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for the following issue.  Netcdf-4.1.3 was installed with netcdf-4 disabled.  I want to install ncview 2.1.2 (1.93 can't read the wrfout files), so I need to recompile with netcdf-4 enabled.

   The problem is that configure fails, with the message that it can't find hdf5.

configure: error: Can't find or link to the hdf5 library. Use --disable-netcdf-4, or see config.log for errors. ( I can send the log if needed.)

In the compile log it has

PATH: /usr/local/hdf5-1.8.9/gcc/bin

and that path is correct.

The only errors in the config.log file (that I can easily spot recognize) are many sequences like the following:

configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "netCDF"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "netcdf"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "4.1.3"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "netCDF 4.1.3"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "support-netcdf at unidata.ucar.edu"
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| #define PACKAGE "netcdf"
| #define VERSION "4.1.3"
| #define NCIO_MINBLOCKSIZE 256
| #define USE_FSYNC 1
| #define DEFAULT_CHUNK_SIZE 4194304
| #define MAX_DEFAULT_CACHE_SIZE 67108864
| #define DEFAULT_CHUNKS_IN_CACHE 10
| #define CHUNK_CACHE_SIZE 4194304
| #define CHUNK_CACHE_NELEMS 1009
| #define CHUNK_CACHE_PREEMPTION 0.75
| #define HAVE_LIBCURL 1
| #define USE_DAP 1
| #define ENABLE_DAP 1
| #define ENABLE_DAP_REMOTE_TESTS 1
| #define USE_EXTREME_NUMBERS 1
| #define TEMP_LARGE "."
| #define HAVE_CURLOPT_KEYPASSWD 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| #include <ac_nonexistent.h>
configure:10726: result: gcc -E
configure:10746: gcc -E  conftest.c
configure:10746: $? = 0
configure:10760: gcc -E  conftest.c
conftest.c:26:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory
configure:10760: $? = 1

and also many examples of items such as:

conftest.c:4: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'exit'

Thanks!

Dave Smith