[Wrf-users] WRF restart runs sporadically hanging up

Zulauf, Michael Michael.Zulauf at iberdrolaren.com
Tue Apr 22 13:58:14 MDT 2014

Hello (again) all...

Back at the end of January, I posted the following question about my WRF
restarts occasionally hanging up (see original message below).  I got
several useful responses, but was only recently able to begin digging
into the problem further, and trying to address it.  I have gotten some
more information, which I hope will be useful.

Based on some of the responses, I've rebuilt WRF (same version) with
OpenMPI V1.4.3.  I'm still encountering the same restart problem, but
now it crashes (still infrequently) instead of hanging.  And the crash
yields the following message:
	MPI_ABORT was invoked on rank 52 in communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
with errorcode 1.

Having seen that, I then found this at the end of rsl.error.0052:
	d03 2014-04-23_12:00:00  alloc_space_field: domain             4
,                  78220372  bytes allocated
	  RESTART: nest, opening wrfrst_d04_2014-04-23_12:00:00 for
reading
	 d03 2014-04-23_12:00:00 Input data processed for aux input  10
for domain   3
	 WRF TILE   1 IS    141 IE    175 JS    167 JE    194
	 WRF NUMBER OF TILES =   1
	-------------- FATAL CALLED ---------------
	 normalize_basetime:  denominator of seconds cannot be negative

Since switching to OpenMPI , both times this has happened it's been the
same process - #52 out of 72 total.  It's possible that this was
happening the same way with the other version of MPI I used, but I
didn't have the same clues to investigate as well.  It seems suspicious
to me that it was the same taskid, which appears to correspond with the
same geographical sub-region of my domain.  Perhaps something to do with
the topography?

Does anybody have any thoughts about what this normalize_basetime error
is due to?  How to fix this problem?

I'm going to continue investigating on my own, but hopefully somebody
can help point me in the right direction...

Thanks,
Mike

Message: 1