[Wrf-users] How to set up the namelist.input &fdda setting for wrf run of several years (with restarts in between)

Ahmad Wan ardie_coal at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 24 02:53:24 MST 2013

To wrfusers

I would like to know if someone is already familiar with namelist.input &fdda setting:  gfdda_end_h. What does it stand for? And if I want to do fdda nudging
for say 17 years (utilizing restarts between each year), what should I
set this to? I set it previously to 24 (hours), not knowing what it
does, should I set it to one whole year (since I restart my run each
year).

Also, I already tested the differences, and noticed the huge wind differences between setting it for 1 whole year (more than 8000 end_h), and 6 hours only. If my assumption is correct, then is there a maximum value for the end_h? If I want to to nudge for 17 years (with restarts every year), should I set to that high value of end_h straightaway? Or is it enough to set it to exceed one year (>8000 hours end_h), for every boundary file of the restarts (since the values of end_h are written in the boundary files, after ./real.exe)?