[Wrf-users] About dx and dy using lat-lon

Robert Schuster rxschuster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 10:26:19 MST 2013

Dear WRF users,

I have the same problem as already described below. I configured WRF
with a regional "lat-lon" domain. My grid spacing is 0.081 degrees in
each direction. The WPS tools accept dx and dy in degrees (as described
in the user guide), but real.exe complains about a mismatch between the
dx/dy from namilist.input and the values stored by metgrid in the
met_em....nc files.

How to solve this problem? Is a solution to place the metgrid calculated
dx/dy in meters in namelist.input? Is it better to store dx/dy in the
metgrid produced files in degrees (for example by editing the attributes
with ncatted)? Are there any side effects of these solutions?

Best Regards,
Robert Schuster

Output from real.exe (Version 3.5.1):
dx and dy from file 9005.376 9005.376
dx and dy from namelist 8.1000000E-02 8.1000000E-02
FATAL CALLED FROM FILE: <stdin> LINE: 531
DX and DY do not match comparing namelist to the input file