[Wrf-users] Use of specific geospatial (grog) fields in WPS and WRF.

Capehart, William J William.Capehart at sdsmt.edu
Fri Apr 19 16:20:59 MDT 2013

Hi All:

We are working to literally reshape the northern great plains topography in WRF by decimating certain key physical features in the terrain.

In doing so, we recognize that we will have collateral changes to the land surface – for example taking out certain topographic features means that we must also change the land cover, fractional vegetation, background & snow albedo and soil texture of the affected areas.  Many of these we can intuit what those changes can be and how we can accomplish them.

HOWEVER (and there is always is one isn't there!): there are other fields in the geogrid database and I am not sure where some of these fields come into use or would be in play for certain model physics options (e.g., land surface, radiation, sfc/pbl).

Of the files/fields in the WPS geog directory, which ones are for all model options and which are limited to specific model physics requirements.  This would help consierably in prioritizing those "second order" changes that we must make, if we should make these additional changes to the original geogrid files in in our derived geo_em.d??.nc fields, and also identify which physics options may be unavailable in our new landscapes.

Thanks Much
Bill

Bill Capehart <William.Capehart at sdsmt.edu>   Associate Professor
Department of Atmospheric Sciences           AES PhD Coordinator
213 Mineral Industries Building             Skype/EVO: wcapehart
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology  Ph: +1-605-394-1994
501 East Saint Joseph Street                Fax: +1-605-394-6061
Rapid City, SD 57701-3995                Mobile: +1-605-484-5692