[Wrf-users] Fwd: Les within Les technique

Andrew Robbie (GMail) andrew.robbie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 04:52:15 MST 2013

Hi,

It is my understanding that the use of LES grids within normal meso scale
grids is not possible as there is a global parameter (name escapes me -- 12
months of doing different stuff and I'm forgetting) set for meso scale runs
which makes no sense for LES runs. That is, WRF will often run, but do the
runs have any validity?

The way around this is to do all the meso runs once (with or without
feedback) and save the outputs, then use ndown to prepare them as input
files for an LES layer. It is possible to trick ndown into producing a 3x
downscale and a 9x downscale and initiate a nested feedback LES run, but it
is a painful task.

Another benefit of doing the ndown is you can run the meso code for several
hours so the system settles down, then kick off LES runs. The LES code is
very sensitive to wierd stuff and will crash all the time for
mountainous/steep terrain.

I have some code written for automating the ndown nesting process, I will
see if I can get work to approve a public release.

Regards,
Andrew