[Wrf-users] EasyBuid (was: Static compilation of WRF)

Fotis Georgatos kefalonia at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 04:21:57 MST 2013

Hello *,

> There is a relatively new package that will do the installation of all libraries and compilations.
> http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/FAQ.html#wrf-c

Even better, try EasyBuild which does all the work for you,
from downloading all sources (incl. fixed compiler version!)
up to the modulefiles: http://hpcugent.github.com/easybuild/
Sure, a testing step could easily be integrated in that framework.

The v1.0.x version of the tool is already doing much automatically:
https://raw.github.com/fgeorgatos/HPCBIOS/master/testing/docs/images/WRF-example-build-by-EB.png
Basically, v1.0.x does WRF/WPS and quite a few other things
(better let it to work overnight!); in the meantime, EasyBuild v1.1.0
is under regression test, scheduled to be release over next days.

I think this kind of automation could take the burden off the
shoulders of WRF newcomers who will need no longer struggle
with all the software building peculiarities AND at the same time
allow for multiple build variations (static/dynamic,
gnu/intel/pgi/whatever, multiple archs, multiple patches etc).
Another way to think of it is: machine-parseable documentation.

A disciplined build structure allows to deliver multiple well-reproducible
modulefiles which is a must for quality control aspects in HPC centers.
(how do your reproduce your working environment in your new $$$$$$ cluster?)

enjoy,
Fotis

--
Drs./Eng. Fotis Georgatos <Fotis.Georgatos at uni.lu>
HPC Systems Engineer, LCSB (University of Luxembourg)