[Wrf-users] How to use NESDIS snow cover data in WRF

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Tue Nov 13 19:20:41 MST 2012

Hello Oli,

I can only answer your first question. I downloaded the file you mentioned, and it seems to have corrupt and/or missing GRIB2 metadata. It's not viewable in grads. There is another ftp server which has the NESDIS-IMS snow cover/sea ice data:

ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/dcom/us007003/20121113/wgrbbul/

Only the most recent data is kept on the server. In the us007003 directory, there are 3 subdirectories named by date, and data is usually available only for the middle date. There are two files of interest:

imssnow.grb.grib2 - NESDIS-IMS snow cover/sea ice at 24km resolution
imssnow96.grb.grib2 - NESDIS-IMS snow cover/sea ice at 4km resolution

Each dataset is on a north polar stereographic grid. The snow cover looks OK in both files, while the sea ice looks fine in the 24km product but is zero everywhere in the 4km product. I've used WRF before (not recently) and I think WPS can handle the interpolation from the polar stereo grid to the WRF grid. In the Vtable, you need to change the parameter number from 42 to 201 in the GRIB2 section. However, converting the snow cover data into something that WRF can use (such as water equivalent accumulated snow depth) requires an empirical algorithm and is beyond my expertise.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org