[Wrf-users] CFL criterion - general question

Jan Harlass jharlass at geomar.de
Fri Nov 2 02:40:49 MDT 2012

Hi Elena,

another thing you could try is to add:
smooth_cg_topo = .true.
under &domains in the namelist when you run real. This smoothes the
model topography to match the low resolution topography that comes with
the driving data, if CFL happens along boundary zones. If CFL occurs
near complex terrain, you may try to set epssm=0.2 ( up to 0.5) to see
if that helps.
[from http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/FAQ.html]

Also remember to scale your time step with the maximum map factor of
your domain. This value is written out in the log files of real.exe. The
time step is then: dt (sec) = 6*dx (km) / (maximum map factor)

All the best!

     Jan

Am 01.11.2012 06:51, schrieb Elena Maria Pison San Pedro:

> Hello,
>
> I've remarked that sometimes when I run a simulation (WRF3.4) I got
> messages saying " x points exceeded cfl=2 at time..." _but the
> simulation run to completion_.
>
> How can this affect the results? What can I do to solve this
> instabilities, run a higher time step?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Elena
>
> Elena Pison San Pedro
>
> M.Sc. in Atmospheric Sciences

> C:\Users\mmc\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures\dhi_logo.gif
>
> DHI-NTU Research Centre and Education Hub,
>
> DHI Water & Environment (S) Pte Ltd
>
> 1 Clean Tech Loop
>
> #03-05 CleanTech One
>
> Singapore 637141
>

> Tel:
>

> +65-6777-6330
>
> emp at dhi.com.sg <mailto:emp at dhi.com.sg>
>
> www.dhigroup.com <http://www.dhigroup.com/>

Dipl.-Met. Jan Harlaß
FB1, FE Maritime Meteorologie, PhD-Student
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Ozeanforschung Kiel (GEOMAR)
Düsternbrooker Weg 20
Alte Botanik Raum 61
24105 Kiel, Germany
Tel. +49-431-600-4034