[Wrf-users] CFL criterion - general question

Kevin Matthew Nuss wrf at nusculus.com
Thu Nov 1 12:37:52 MDT 2012

Hi Elena,

I have had the same thing happen. I don't know exactly how that affects the
results, so when it has happened to me, I did not trust the results.

Yes, reducing the time step is the standard way to avoid CFL errors. There
are some alternatives like using restart files: when CFLs appear, stop, go
back a little way in time, use small time steps for a while, stop and
continue forward using the larger timesteps. That is mostly done for very
long runs like climate downscaling when it is not practical to use small
timesteps for an entire run.

If CFLs always appear at the same coordinates such as a mountain peak,
EPSSM can be adjusted or the grid changed.

If you need more information and detail about what I do to avoid CFL
errors, I have some on my website: http://www.nusculus.com/wrf-errors

I don't claim to be an expert; I have simply suffered through a lot of bad
WRF runs.

But most people just keep reducing the time step until the CFL errors go
away.

Kevin