[Wrf-users] Problem to build ungrib.exe in WPS to accept GRIB2 files

Jose Augusto Paixão Veiga veiga.uea at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 10:00:43 MDT 2012

Dear all,

I am trying to compile WPS with the option PC Linux x86_64 (IA64 and Opteron), PGI compiler 5.2 or higher, DM parallel (option 9) in a cluster machine to use GRIB2 format files. However, after configuring and compiling WPS the executable file ungrib.exe is not built in the WPS directory. I successfully  compiled WRFV3 and all paths to netcdf, jasper, zlib and libpng are set in my bash file.

Bellow, follows the final part of a ./compile ungrib that I did to try built ungrib.exe in the WPS directory (when I use ./compile the files geogrid.exe and metgrid.exe are the unique archives built).  Pay attention at the red lines which is indicative of some 'problem' to find some lib (g2_4).

/bin/rm -f ungrib.exe
pgf90 -o ungrib.exe  misc_definitions_module.o debug_cio.o module_debug.o module_stringutil.o table.o module_datarray.o gridinfo.o new_storage.o filelist.o ungrib.o output.o rrpr.o rd_grib1.o file_delete.o datint.o rd_grib2.o  \
			-L./ngl -lw3 -lg2_4 \
			-L/opt/jasper/lib -ljasper -L/opt/libpng/lib -lpng -L/opt/zlib/lib -lz \
			-L. -lpgu
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lg2_4
make[1]: [ungrib.exe] Error 2 (ignored)
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/veiga/MODELS/CLWRF/WPS/ungrib/src'
if [ -h ungrib.exe ] ; then \
        /bin/rm -f ungrib.exe ; \
fi ; \
if [ -h ../ungrib.exe ] ; then \
	/bin/rm -f ../ungrib.exe ; \
fi ; \
if [ -e src/ungrib.exe ] ; then \
	ln -sf src/ungrib.exe . ; \
fi

What should be the solution for this problem ?

When I use option 8 (NO GRIB2) all executable files are built (ungrib.exe, geogrid.exe and metgrid.exe).

I attached the result of ./compile ungrib (ungrib.out) and my configure.wps.

Thanks in advance,

José Augusto P. Veiga,

Universidade do Estado do Amazonas
Departamento de Meteorologia
Escola Superior de Tecnologia (EST)
Av. Darcy Vargas, 1200, Manaus-AM Brasil
Work phone:    (92) 3878 4323
Skype: veiga_j.a.p.
CV: http://lattes.cnpq.br/4027612512091565
URL:http://scientificmet.wordpress.com/