[Wrf-users] Some subroutines calls have more parameters, than expected by their definitions?

Dmitry N. Mikushin maemarcus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 11:23:17 MDT 2012

Dear WRF community,

While testing our new compiler, we spotted a strange thing: some
subroutines seem to be called with more parameters, than it is
specified in their definitions. For example:

marcusmae at M17xR4:~/forge/kernelgen/tests/perf/wrf/3.3$ grep
wrf_dfi_startfwd_init * -R

main/module_wrf_top.F:     SUBROUTINE wrf_dfi_startfwd_init( )
main/module_wrf_top.F:     END SUBROUTINE wrf_dfi_startfwd_init

share/dfi.F:   SUBROUTINE wrf_dfi_startfwd_init ( )
share/dfi.F:   END SUBROUTINE wrf_dfi_startfwd_init

But the use site is:

frame/module_integrate.F:                  CALL wrf_dfi_startfwd_init(new_nest)

As of v3.3, the same problem is also observed for:

med_nest_force
wrf_dfi_startfwd_init

Is it an issue? Inaccurate code refactoring?

I'm guessing regular compilers & linkers would eat this, but we can't :)

Thanks,
- D.