[Wrf-users] help: Forecasting with WRF?

Kevin Matthew Nuss wrf at nusculus.com
Thu Jul 5 19:00:29 MDT 2012

Hi,

Just to fill in some details:

In the situation Elena described, the first GFS data set gets interpolated
over space to give initial conditions to the WRF grids. This data is in the
wrfinput files produced by real.exe. Then the first two data sets get
interpolated over space AND time to provide values but only for the outside
edges of  your WRF grid, not inside the WRF grid. This data is in the
wrfbdy file produced by real.exe. After the second data set is used up, the
boundary conditions are interpolated in time and space between the second
and third GFS data set. And so on. You can NOT forecast beyond the last GFS
data set because real.exe does not have a next data set to use for
interpolation. Without boundary conditions, the forecast can not continue
because no new weather can enter your WRF grid because it is not provided.
The GFS program is global so it has no boundaries (wraps around to itself).
GFS could continue on indefinitely. WRF, unless run as a global grid, has
to stop when there are no more boundary conditions to specify new weather
along its outside grid border.

If some of that was already obvious, sorry. Just trying to be complete and
of course, I don't know what you do or do not already know.
Kevin