[Wrf-users] Query about ARW-WRF total precipitation calculation

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Thu Jun 28 15:00:08 MDT 2012

Kamal,

RAINC includes all phases of convective precip, and RAINNC includes all phases of non-convective precip. So total precip is given by RAINC + RAINNC.

Also note that WRF precip accumulates during the run and is never reset to zero, unless you specify this in the namelist.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org