[Wrf-users] What is the difference between Temperature at 2 meter and Surface Skin temperature

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Wed Jun 20 15:02:22 MDT 2012

Kamal,

You should use 2 meter temperature to compare with station observations, since "surface" air temperature observations are taken at 2 m above ground. Skin temperature in the model is the ground surface temperature (or SST over water) which can be quite different from the 2-m air temperature. Over land, skin temperature is calculated from the surface energy balance.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Assistant Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
4041 Powder Mill Road, Suite 302
Calverton, MD 20705-3106
USA

E-mail: ela at cola.iges.org