[Wrf-users] WRF Stops Running for 64+ Processors

Chris Klich cak10c at my.fsu.edu
Wed Jun 20 12:21:43 MDT 2012

Hi all, I am currently running WRF-Chem 3.4, but I've also had this problem
with regular WRF 3.4.  I am running a 3 domain simulation (45, 15, 5km).
On different occasions, varying from writing the hour 0 domain 2 output, up
to the first actual time step, WRF just stops running.  It does not give me
an error, just one of the nodes says segmentation fault.  This only seems
to happen when running more than 64 processors.  I am running using a PGI
compiled version of WRF, and I do not believe it is a namelist or model
issue, as the crash seems to happen differently at several different points
in the model run.  However, sometimes, although rarely, the run will
actually finish to completion with more than 64 nodes.

Has anyone had this happen before, or possibly know of a way to fix it?  I
am using a computer center that I have to submit my run to, so it can get
frustrating waiting almost a day for my run to start, only to have it fail
within a few minutes.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris