[Wrf-users] Stack trace terminated abnormally

Alex Fierro alexandre.o.fierro at gmail.com
Tue May 8 10:14:20 MDT 2012

Greetings:

If you are running on a Mac, use those flags at linking stage only to
increase the stack (As setting the stacksize to unlimited in your bashrc
etc does not suffice):

-stack_addr,0xF10000000 -Wl,-stack_size,0x64000000

However, from what I see below your run stopped due to a Seg Fault error:
either there is a bug in your code or your time step size is too large (CFL
criterion exceeded).

Cheers and hope this helps,

Alex-

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:32 AM, Ahmad Wan <ardie_coal at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you everyone,
> I was pleasantly surprised that a lot of people replied to my last
> question (Re: [Wrf-users] Better strategy to compress wrf output files). I
> will definitely post some of you, if I have found another technique. Back
> to the issue, I have another problem with my control run, that after
> running for 2 years, it stopped abruptly with segmentation fault message:
>
> *Timing for main: time 1983-03-17_22:32:30 on domain   1:    0.30150
> elapsed seconds.*
> *Timing for main: time 1983-03-17_22:33:45 on domain   1:    0.30260
> elapsed seconds.*
> *forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV, segmentation fault occurred*
> *Image              PC        Routine            Line        Source*
> *wrf.exe            08D7C2A0  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown*
> *wrf.exe            0864F0DC  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown*
> *wrf.exe            0867B3B8  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown*
> *
> *
> *Stack trace terminated abnormally.*
>
> For you information, I have already unlimited the stack size, and there is
> no apparent evidence of stability problems (such as warning messages or
> increasing elapsed seconds). Is it possible that my RAM is not enough? Or
> is it that some stability problems simply don't produce messages? I have
> tried the restart run twice, but they each stop at different times (3
> months/5 months/1 month into the 2nd year)
>
> Regards,
> Wan Ardie

Alexandre Fierro, PhD
Research Scientist-
National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL/NOAA)
*The Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies* (OU/NOAA)
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM (LANL)

"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery and Today is a Gift; That is
why it is called the Present"

"There are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't"

"My opinions are my own and not representative of OU, NSSL,
AOML, HRD, LANL or any affiliates."
         ^.^
       (o  o)