[Wrf-users] Better strategy to compress wrf output files

Ahmad Wan ardie_coal at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 19:42:36 MDT 2012

Greetings,
I would appreciate if anyone could help me with this particular problem, I am running a WRF, for already 2 years (planning on running 30 years), and I am wondering if there is a strategy to save and compress (or even convert) to save space that will inevitably take more than 6 Terabytes. That is the amount of space I am expecting anyway. Compressing with gunzip or bzip2 doesn't seem enough to me, as it only reduces ~30% (NOT 30% of Original size). Perhaps my expectation is unrealistic? Is there a way to limit the output to certain variables? I would like know that as well, but I only see that (limiting variables) as a last resort. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Wan Ardie