[Wrf-users] RT_fdda_reformat_obsnud.pl

steve kirby thin_runner at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 20:18:24 MDT 2012

Hi Bart,
I saw your message (see below), to the WRF user group from Mar 2011.  Did you or anyone else come up with an alternative (C/FORTRAN/?) to
RT_fdda_reformat_obsnud.pl, because it does take some time to run.
TIA,
Steve

Hi all,
Does anyone have an alternative to RT_fdda_reformat_obsnud.pl?
I'm running WRF in 5.5 day chunks, with about ~50 MB/hour of OBS in
LITTLE_R format.  Because the amount of data is so large, this perl
script takes a really long time to run -- about 4 days per 5.5-day init
(running on a compute node with 4 GB of RAM: I/O over NFS, and clearly
swapping).  That's longer than I expect my WRF run to take.
Has anyone re-written this program in FORTRAN or another compiled
language that might be more efficient?
Bart