[Wrf-users] Missing values in PMSL using ERA-interim

sam.hawkins at vattenfall.com sam.hawkins at vattenfall.com
Thu Mar 8 08:27:10 MST 2012

Dear WRF users,

I'm struggling to get WRF to run on ERA-Interim data. There are various forum posts and previous emails on the subject, but I can't seem to find the right answer. Currently I'm downloading three sets of grib files: 1) surface variables on the surface level, 2) 3D variables on model levels, and 3)log of surface pressure and geopotential on the lowest model level.

I run ungrib.exe on each grib file, and then use calc_ecmwf to give me a 3D pressure.  calc_ecmwf warns me that:
WARNING: Either TT or SPECHUMD not found. No RH will be computed.

But it does create the PRES files with 3D pressure. Finally I run metgrid.exe which gives me the error:

INFORM: Going to create the field PRES
INFORM: Couldn't find PSFC at level 200100.000000 to fill level 200100.000000 of PRES.
WARNING: Field PMSL has missing values at level 200100 at (i,j)=(1,21)
INFORM: Field LANDSEA.mask does not have a valid mask and will not be checked for missing values
ERROR: Missing values encountered in interpolated fields. Stopping.

I'm not even sure what variable is triggering the error. If anyone has any advice, please let me know. I can post the full log files somwehere.

Many thanks,

Sam Hawkins.