[Wrf-users] WRFDA Errors over Water

Sean Crowell sean.crowell at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 13 08:55:58 MST 2012

Hi, I am running WRF and WRFDA version 3.3.1 for an OSSE and I am
getting some pretty large errors over bodies of water.  The inclusion
of surface obs improves the analysis almost everywhere else (over a
control run with no assimilation).  Are there any water specific
settings in the WRFDA process?  I have the line "iswater = 16" in my
namelist for updating the lower boundary condition file, and in my WRF
namelist, I haven't changed the land use to MODIS, so far as I can tell.

Is there any other obvious reason why the assimilation would degrade
the solution over bodies of water?

Sean Crowell