[Wrf-users] Are 2-m and 10-m variables required by WPS and WRF?

Kemp, Eric M. (GSFC-610.3)[NORTHROP GRUMMAN] eric.kemp at nasa.gov
Wed Feb 1 15:52:13 MST 2012

Dear WRFer’s:

I’m aware that the WPS normally processes 2-meter temperature/moisture and 10-meter winds from typical GRIB files (NAM, GFS, RUC).  And I’m aware this information is useful in improving vertical interpolation of these fields to WRF model levels near the terrain.  However, are these fields actually required by WPS and WRF?  Will the software crash if the fields are absent, or will the resulting interpolated fields be of such poor quality that WRF will fail to run?

Thanks,

-Eric

Eric M. Kemp                   Northrop Grumman Corporation
Meteorologist                  Information Systems
Civil Enterprise Solutions     Civil Systems Division

                               Goddard Space Flight Center
                               Mailstop 610.3
                               Greenbelt, MD 20771
                               Telephone   301-286-9768