[Wrf-users] Sigma to height conversion

Kevin Matthew Nuss wrf at nusculus.com
Tue Jan 17 17:22:40 MST 2012

Hi,

I wrote the email referenced by Andrew and would like to now advise against
using the PHP variable because it seems to be calculated at the beginning
of timesteps rather than the end. It represents the geopotential height for
the previous timestep, which is probably very close, but I don't want to be
accountable for that small difference.

It isn't code as requested by Bart and it doesn't account for vertically
staggered grids, but a formula for geopotential height in meters can be
found in the WRF User's Guide (p 5-75 of v3.3).

Kevin