[Wrf-users] Changing land use

Saji Hameed saji at u-aizu.ac.jp
Wed Jun 1 18:58:05 MDT 2011

I guess NCL also can be used to modify both the netcdf files (geogrid*.nc)
or the binary source files that geogrid.exe uses...

saji

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 6:50 AM, <mmkamal at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Hi Hamed,
>
> I am currently working on some land use sensitivity experiment and I
> used an open source statistical package called "R" to read the land
> use binary data (inside the geog directory of the data set). Using R I
> am able to read the data set, then modified some category in my area
> of interest and save the modification. Finally, I fed the model with
> the modified data set and find that it does work properly. You can get
> more detail about "R" in the following link. Or simply make google
> search "read/write binary data using R".
>

> Thanks
> Kamal
>

> Quoting Mikhail Titov <TitovM at ap.aurecongroup.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a program written on C that transforms any input terrestrial
> > ASCII code file (topo, land-use and so on) in WPS binary format:
> > 'rd_wr_binary.exe'.
> > It is written on C as Fortran always leaves empty bits between 2
> > lines that is not appropriate. This program is 2-direction one and
> > can be used to check
> > binary input terrestrial files transforming them in ASCII code. The
> > program is very flexible and easily can be changed and re-compiled.
> >
> > Of cause after preparation of our own terrestrial files I create new
> > subdirectory (with tiles) and 'index' file in 'geog' and edit
> > "GEOGRID.TBL" in
> > ' WPS/geogrid/' sub-directory to create several pointers on new
> > terrestrial files and to choose an appropriate' interp_option'.
> >
> > We use to create our own terrain and land-use files (using special
> > statistical methods and GIS) all the time for fine resolution WRF runs
> > (1000 - 500m) to study wind resources for different on-shore and
> > off-shore sites. USGS 2m - 30s terrestrial data is too coarse and
> > very often is a crap.
> >
> > Regards,

> > Dr. Mikhail Titov | Senior Prof. Officer, Energy | Aurecon
> > Ph: +64 3 366 08 21 ext.9231 DDI +64 367 32 31 | Fax: +64 3 379 6955
> > | Mob: +64 21 106 5563
> > Email: TitovM at ap.aurecongroup.com<mailto:TitovM at ap.aurecongroup.com>
> > Unit 1, 150 Cavendish Road | Christchurch 8051 | New Zealand
> > PO Box 1061
> > http://www.aurecongroup.com<http://www.aurecongroup.com/>
> > http://www.aurecongroup.com/apac/groupentity/
> >
> _________________________________________________________________________________
> >
> > Please consider your environment before printing this e-mail.

Saji N Hameed,
ARC-ENV, Center for Advanced Information Science and Technology,
University of Aizu, Tsuruga, Ikki-machi,
Aizuwakamatsu-shi, Fukushima 965-8580,
Japan

Tel: +81242 37-2736
 email: saji at u-aizu.ac.jp