[Wrf-users] Re : problem running real with GFS fnl* data for 2005

Maria Eugenia maria.frediani at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:58:19 MDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I guess the problem is in the computer, it's overloaded. It has been
running real.exe for 24h and it's not done yet.  Meanwhile I set up
the same simulation in a different machine, real.exe ran in less than
5 min and wrf.exe is working fine.

Regarding the error messages, I believe real.exe is complaining about
variables I don't have in the dataset. I mean, none of these variables
appear in my Vtable (default Vtable.GFS). Therefore I believe they are
either not in the dataset, or they are not necessary for the
simulation.

I'm describing the errors I found in my rsl.out file in case my
assumption is wrong, and somebody knows how to fix this.

I have a list of (1) "variable not found" and a list of (2) "attribute
not found", as shown below.

 d01 2005-10-07_18:00:00  NetCDF error: NetCDF: Variable not found
 d01 2005-10-07_18:00:00  NetCDF error in wrf_io.F90, line        2712
 Varname TAVGSFC

 d01 2005-10-07_18:00:00  NetCDF error: NetCDF: Attribute not found
 d01 2005-10-07_18:00:00  NetCDF error in ext_ncd_get_dom_ti.code
INTEGER, line          83  Element FLAG_TSK

For (1) the variables names are:

 TAVGSFC
 QV
 SPECHUMD
 ICEFRAC
 MU0
 T2
 SOIL_LEVELS
 SW
 SOILT
 SOILM
 SM000007
 SM007028
 SM028100
 SM100255
 ST000007
 ST007028
 ST028100
 ST100255
 SM010200
 SOILM000
 SOILM005
 SOILM020
 SOILM040
 SOILM160
 SOILM300
 SW000010
 SW010040
 SW040100
 SW100200
 SW010200
 SOILW000
 SOILW005
 SOILW020
 SOILW040
 SOILW160
 SOILW300
 ST010200
 SOILT000
 SOILT005
 SOILT020
 SOILT040
 SOILT160
 SOILT300
 TOPOSTDV
 TOPOSLPX
 TOPOSLPY
 SHDMAX
 SHDMIN
 SOILCAT
 VEGCAT
 SNOWH
 CANWAT
 SST
 LAI
 MF_VX_INV
 HGT
 TSK
 XLAT
 XLONG
 ALBBCK
 TMN

And for (2) the elements names are:

P_TOP
GMT
JULYR
JULDAY
FLAG_TSK
FLAG_TAVGSFC
FLAG_QV
FLAG_QC
FLAG_QR
FLAG_QI
FLAG_QS
FLAG_QG
FLAG_QNI
FLAG_SH
FLAG_P_INTERP
FLAG_SST
FLAG_SNOWH
FLAG_TOPOSOIL
FLAG_ICEDEPTH
FLAG_ICEFRAC
FLAG_SOIL_LEVELS

My netcdf version is 3.6.3, and I use gcc/gfortran 4.2.4. Please let
me know if these errors will compromise the results of my simulation.

Thanks ever
Maria E. B. Frediani
Visiting Scholar
University of Connecticut