[Wrf-users] Wrf-users Digest, Vol 79, Issue 19

Kemp, Eric M. (GSFC-610.3)[NORTHROP GRUMMAN INFORMATION TECH] eric.kemp at nasa.gov
Mon Mar 21 07:25:05 MDT 2011

I've also encountered this problem with gfortran 4.2.  It's worth noting
that declaring pointer arguments with the intent attribute is illegal in
Fortran 90, and is only recently permitted with Fortran 2003.  So perhaps
those intent statements should be removed in the official source code
distribution for better standard conformance.

-Eric

On 3/17/11 8:37 AM, "Thomas Schwitalla" <thomas.schwitalla at uni-hohenheim.de>
wrote:

> Dear Maria,
>
> the problems are the "intent(in)" and "intent(out)" statements at line
> 2363/2364 of dyn_em/module_initialize_real.F . Try to delete the intent
> statements, it should help for gfortran 4.2.4. The other way would be to
> upgrade to gfortran 4.3.x which can handle these pointer declarations
> without problems.
>
> Best regards,
> Thomas
>
> Am 16.03.2011 20:53, schrieb wrf-users-request at ucar.edu:
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 14:28:06 -0400
>> From: Maria Eugenia<maria.frediani at gmail.com>
>> Subject: [Wrf-users] problem installing wrf v3.2.1 with gcc v4.2.4
>> To: wrf-users at ucar.edu
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm trying to install WRFV3.2.1 (dmpar, without support for grib2 io)
>> in a SGI Altix 3700 IA64 Itanium 2.
>> I'm using gcc/gfortran v 4.2.4, netcdf v4.1.1, mpich2 v1.3.2 and libpng
>> v1.2.12.
>> I have successfully built WRF V3.2, with the above configuration, but
>> the newest version does not compile completely.
>>
>> After compiling for em_real, I only have wrf.exe in the WRFV3/main
>> directory, no real.exe nor any of the other executables that should be
>> there. I don't understand why wrf.exe compiles and real.exe
>> doesn't....
>>
>> I also tried to compile it serial only, to exclude a possible problem
>> with mpich2, but the result is the same.
>> Maybe it is relevant to mention that ggc is not the default compiler,
>> the default is ifort 9.0. However I have checked the paths and
>> installed the required softwares with gcc (netcdf,mpich2,libpng).
>> Besides that, when I run ./configure, I only see options to use intel
>> compiler:
>>     1.  Linux SGI Altix, ifort compiler with icc 9.x,10.x  (serial)
>>     2.  Linux SGI Altix, ifort compiler with icc 9.x,10.x  (smpar)
>>     3.  Linux SGI Altix, ifort compiler with icc 9.x,10.x  (dmpar)
>>     4.  Linux SGI Altix, ifort compiler with icc 9.x,10.x  (dm+sm)
>> Therefore I created my configure.wrf file based on gcc. Anyway, I
>> don't believe this is the problem given that I successfully built v3.2
>> with the same configuration.
>>
>> The configure.wrf file for the serial and dmpar build are attached as
>> well as the compile.log.
>> I sincerely appreciate your help.
>>
>> Maria E. B. Frediani
>> --------
>> Visiting Scholar
>> University of Connecticut
>> School of Engineering
>> 261 Glenbrook Rd
>> Storrs, CT 06269
>> frediani at engr.uconn.edu
>> Name: configure.wrfv3.2.1_x86_64_gfortran_gcc_serial
>> Type: application/octet-stream
>> Size: 19317 bytes
>> Desc: not available

>> End of Wrf-users Digest, Vol 79, Issue 19

Eric M. Kemp                   Northrop Grumman Corporation
Meteorologist                  Information Systems
Civil Enterprise Solutions     Civil Systems Division

                               Goddard Space Flight Center
                               Mailstop 610.3
                               Greenbelt, MD 20771
                               Telephone   301-286-9768