[Wrf-users] WRF one-way nesting error

Huy Tran tnquanghuy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 08:54:01 MST 2011

Good morning everyone,

I'm currently having trouble with running one-way nesting in WRF. The
domain configuration includes 1 coarse domain of 300x400 grid-cells x
12km (domain 1)  and 1 fine domain of 201x201 grid-cells x 4km (domain
2). The time steps are 36s and 12s for the domain 1 and domain 2,
respectively. Frame output is every 1hour. Simulations are conducted
with 8 processors machine.

I finished running domain 1 successfully and the frame output is every
1hour. Then  I follow the instruction of running one-way nesting with
ndown (http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/wrfv2/runwrf.html#oneway). I
finished all the steps and got the wrfinput_d02 and wrfbdy_d02 for the
domain 2 with ndown, and renamed them to wrfinput_d01 and wrfbdy_d01,
respectively. I took a look into these files and verified that all
timestep and domain configuration are correctly.

But when I run wrf.exe, it just finished upto 5 time steps and stopped
there with the error
"APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Hangup (signal 1)"
and there is no error recorded in the rsl.error.* files.

Note that if I run the domain 2 without ndown (i.e. generated the
wrfinput_d01 and wrfbdy_d01 with real.exe and go no further with ndown),
wrf.exe run flawlessly without any error.

I attach the rsl.error.0000, the namelist.input of domain 1 and domain 2
for your more information. Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Huy