[Wrf-users] WRF-NMM mis-handling of SEAICE for small lakes

Case, Jonathan (MSFC-VP61)[ENSCO INC] jonathan.case-1 at nasa.gov
Fri Feb 18 12:01:46 MST 2011

Hello Dave/All,

Here is just a quick point of clarification on how the WRF-NMM incorporates sea ice into the initial condition for version 3.1.1.   Upon looking at the real_nmm code, I realized that the WRF-NMM initialization routine does NOT allow the user to set any sea ice based on input skin temperature thresholds.   The only way the WRF-NMM can initialize ice is by reading in a SEAICE grid from an external GRIB2 file (e.g. NAM or SPoRT's Great Lakes SEAICE via the icegl option in the EMS).

As a result, smaller water bodies in Canada and the Northeast U.S. are left as open water and assigned unrealistically cold water temperatures well below freezing in high-resolution NMM runs.   I have not confirmed whether this has been fixed in WRF v3.2, but in case it hasn't been fixed, I have CC'd the wrfhelp and wrf-users forum email lists , as well as Bob Rozumalski to the reply.

Best regards,
Jonathan Case
(NASA SPoRT Center)