[Wrf-users] Radiative transfer performance in DM+SM run

Matt Foster Matthew.Foster at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 7 06:00:01 MST 2011

During some recent testing of a newly-configured domain (474x474, 3km) I
noticed a rather significant difference in the performance of the
radiative transfer (RRTM/Dudhia) when running a DM+SM build.  The
radiative transfer timesteps are sometimes as much as 60% longer in
DM+SM vs DM.  I've found this to be true with either OpenMPI or
MVAPICH2, although it seems to be more pronounced with MVAPICH2.

Does anyone know why I'm seeing this behavior?

Matt

--
Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson